Wibbitz Player--the latest Posts

Sunday, December 14, 2008

What's in a name??

Well, it's time to start thinkiing of a name to call the ministry, and you can offer suggestions. Here are the guidelines: It must be subversive--not overtly Christian.

We do want to open up a coffee house like we were a part of in Springfield. They had a great name: Potters House. It just has so many meanings, but is simple and fun (they nick named it the POHO.) We can copy this name, and there are many advantages to doing so, and it is a strong possibility. Another possible name is "Fill My Cup." If we open a coffee shop, we'll want a name that suggests what it is. My dad came up with the name Solomon's Porch, this is where Jesus is confronted about who He is, and they say, If you are the Christ, tell us plainly. (John 10:22-24).

What are YOUR ideas? Leave a comment. We'll eventually offer a vote on here to take to the advisory team.

Thanks for your help!

2 comments:

Ben Moore said...

Pastor Ben Turner writes:

What about "House Of Joe" or "Joe house?" For years a cup of "Joe" was a cup of coffee, but it could also lead to the biblical name of Joseph who was a type of Christ who suffered in order to save his people. In Genesis 50:19-21 we find, "But Joseph said to them, "Don't be afraid. Am I in the place of God? You intended to harm me, but God intended it for good to accomplish what is now being done, the saving of many lives. So then, don't be afraid. I will provide for you and your children." And he reassured them and spoke kindly to them."

It could represent a non-judgmental attitude. Avoiding an us and them approach. The name is "secular" enough to be non-offensive to the pre-Christian, but could easily be the source of some good conversation about forgiveness and God's provision of salvation.

Anonymous said...

I thought of the name Crossroads Cafe. I thought of this name based on the Scripture passage that talks about the Good Samaritan and the passage "When I was hungry and you gave me food, when I was thirsty and you gave me drink..." I thought about this Coffee Shop being a place of opportunity to be samaritans to one another uplifting and supporting one another by the crossing of paths through the coffee shop. I also thought about the paths that are created that lead to God through this ministry.

Kim