Wibbitz Player--the latest Posts

Wednesday, July 1, 2009

2nd Class Citizen

Recently, I went to the district youth camp. Not to encourage students to go to BSU, but to find those that feel like God has led them there. I shared a few minutes in the service. When they introduced me and said that I was starting a ministry at BSU, there were some students that booed me. Not a big deal...some are from other states/area that are rivals of BSU.

Yet, no students came to talk to me about the BSU ministry at the given time. The perception I had was that students who attended BSU were considered traitor's to NNU. While this is not an official position by the district or NNU, for some reason, this perception exists.

I guess the thing that bothers me the most is that BSU campus is filled with people for whom Christ died. As I tried to sleep later that night, this thought hit me hard. I can't change the perception of others, but for me, it was reminder of what God is doing in my heart for this campus...creating a deep burden for God to do a wonderful miracle. And my heart is quickened by every step we take closer to ministering to this community. May God help us not to see others as someone to 'boo" but rather, as someone that Christ loves very much!

2 comments:

Mountain Mama said...

These comments really have nothing to do with the upcoming BSU campus ministry; instead, they are a response to your being BOOED when you spoke to NNU students, Rev. Moore!

First of all, you didn't report the booing in order to whine. Instead, you obviously feel a deep concern for the hearts and souls of BSU students, who deserve ministry, too.

Not everyone can afford to pay the high tuition costs, or has the high grades or test scores needed to attend NNU. So why behave like rivals or snobs to students who at least are able to attend BSU!?

Yet not only did the students who booed you display just poor basic manners toward less intelligent or less fortunate students, and rudeness toward a speaker----this is supposedly a country with free speech, right?----but these students also demonstrated a lousy sense of supposed loyalty to a CHRISTIAN school!

What sort of crummy witness to faith is BOOING someone about a MINISTRY at another college!? For SHAME!

I hope someone is able to reach those NNU students and confront them in love about their horrible behavior. They are supposedly adults, and supposedly Christians, but their rude and immature behavior reveals their need for enlightenment and further growth in Christ.

May God continue to use you, Rev. Moore, to bless not only BSU students, but also to help students or staff at OTHER schools grow up and grow in Christ.

Ben Moore said...

Mountain Mama,

Thanks for your thoughts. Let me explain some things futher.

First, the group I spoke to you was high school students at youth camp, and only a small number actually booed me (maybe 25-50). This youth camp had high school students from Utah, Idaho, and Oregon--so not all would be BSU fans. And although many have a sense of loyalty to NNU, most will not attend there at first. In some ways, the booing was in good fun, although I wasn't prepared for it!

Second--most of the NNU students that I do talk to are really excited about this ministry. And the administration of NNU has gone out of their way to assist and encourage. Amazing people with a missional heart.

Third--you're right--I was not attempting to whine, but rather share what God had done in my heart, renewing my passion for BSU students, and helping me to see God's heart for BSU--broken.

I appreciate your thoughts and prayers. And yes, keep praying that God uses me not only at BSU, but also to influence others to be like Christ as well.